Saturday, November 1, 2008

Today is Show & Tell "What did you bring?"

I'm pretty sure most of us who grew up in North America remember a time in elementary school when we participated in show & tell. Teachers would ask students to bring something of significance to class and we would stand up in front of the class and describe what it was and why we brought it. A terrifying concept for many children as well as adults.

Today, I am exploring the concept of Show & Tell as a powerful coaching tool. Many times coaches are faced with a different kind of show and tell. A client tells them one thing, then shows them another in their actions. Furthermore, show & tell can be used when a coach would like a client to show their actions or fieldwork as well as tell about it.

Show & Tell can also be used in the case of an individual needing to make change. For example, if someone would like to improve on their relationship they can do the following; Show their spouse they love them by doing something sweet, then follow it up by telling them. Using actions and communication to assist with the repair.

Going back to the situation where a client is telling one thing then showing another, a coach could use language to help the client see these repeat actions. For example; I'm hearing you tell me this, then you are showing me this? what does that mean for you? I'm wondering what would be one thing you could do create action that is more in line with what you are telling me?

Continueing with the Show & Tell power tool a coach could use the scenario in this wau. Confirm with the client; So you are telling me XYZ, am I clear on this? I'm wondering, would you like to play a game of show & tell? How about you come up with one action, one tangible goal that you can show me that will reflect what you are telling me, in addition to this go out and find one object of significance to prove that you took this action, take a photo of it, and send it to me. Next week when we speak we will play SHOW and TEll.

In my opinion the applications of this power tool are plenty. It has an element of game, power of language, and the ability to create action.

Any ideas on how "show and tell" can be used as a power tool in coaching?

e-mail me! :>) I love new ideas...
jennifer@level88.ca

or even better if you think this STINKS ~
feedback jennifer@level88.ca

OR COMMENT on this posting!

No comments:

Blog Archive