Monday, June 2, 2008

In the Valley of Value (why coach?)

Why be a coach? What is a coach? These are two questions that come up on a regular basis in this industry for obvious reasons. More importantly I ask, what is the VALUE?

Why am I a coach? Simple, I have a very regular habit of seeing the best in people, giving people the benefit of the doubt, and taking them as is. A desire to see the light I know is inside, grow into a bright and shining star. Lucky for me the majority of Executive Coaching deals with successful, motivated, driven individuals ready to make a commitment towards progress. They are also motivated not to waste their dollars on a program that doesn't produce results, and are smart enough to realize participation is key.

But what is the true "value" of a coach? How can anyone measure the actual worth of a coach. Most people have seen what kind of damage a negative person can bring to any situation, including work teams. But do most people recognize the "value" of the inspiring team members? The people who try to solve the problems, rather then bring them up as a complaint. It is absolutely important for individuals in positions of leadership to show "obvious" value in positive and constructive participation. As for the "value" of a coach, it would be impossible to quantify the actual value of a person who can help us reach our goals.

How valuable is it to me, that my coach is helping me reach my health and fitness goals? How valuable is it to me that she has helped me recognize what a great relationship I have with my daughter? In my mind there is no real way to quantify this in dollars to actual value.


However, in a business environment there are ways to measure goals, and successes in dollars. This leads me to the fact that the business world is now slowly starting to recognize that there is no way to fully seperate business & personal. That peoples personal happiness directly effects performance, efficiency, and overall value.

So, to all you coaches out there.. Here is a great big

HURRAY!!! Give me a V.....Give me an A....Give me an L give me a U, give me an E!!

VALIDATING
ACCELERATING
LISTENING
UNDERSTANDING
ENERGIZING

That is my coaching model!
the VALUE model.

No comments:

Blog Archive