Friday, May 30, 2008

Finding a team in an unlikely place

What do you think of first when you hear the word TEAM? Hockey? Football? Office? Most of us have an idea of what a team is, but usually we dont associate them with areas in our life such as family? Especially when it comes to teambuilding. Would you take a seminar on teambuilding to run your household?

I would.

At this point in my life it has never been more clear how a team building model would fit so well into my household. As a leader of any team, it is so easy to get caught up in every detail, have our hands in all of the pots, so to speak. We must ask ourselves what are we getting out of this situation? What "need" am i fullfilling by taking on so much?

Personally, I feel that my expecations are very high. I want it all, all the time, and it must be great! not just o.k. GREAT! fantastic and at a certain standard that I hold in my mind. As soon as I let that go, or leave it to others, it seems that things are not just quite the way I envision. This is a terrible match of tennis in my mind. On one hand, I understand the importance of letting go, allowing for things to develop through trial and error. On the other hand, I want things done a certain way and believe firmly that people should take responsiblity for what they want.

When you are wearing too many hats, it is so easy to become overwhelmed. This morning I felt the anxiety of being overly involved. The pressure of doing it all, and the mistake I was making by participating.

Everything is as it should be. I bring craziness into my life by not allowing for others to be a part of my team. I'm micro managing my own life. Exahausted by it all, there comes a time to train, empower, and let go! Time to take my own advice and put it into action. The amazing thing about a team is that when one person falls from grace for a while the other picks put the slack in a postive way without question or critisim.

Hey Teams! you COMPLETE ME!

Cheers to SUNSHINE, I appreciate you, and am grateful for you, so please appear today.

No comments:

Blog Archive